Things you can do
At the Community Level
- Support and invest in local initiatives/ enterprises; buy locally - ie.
a 100-mile diet supports local farmers and producers; when buying from a distance,
support fair trade initiatives; start a community garden; The more we do such
things, the more adequate local provision will be when transportation costs
- Invest in conservation, renewable energy, and in sustainable infrastructure
- soil fertility; forest management; community cohesion, (festivals, craft
and information fairs, block parent programs, community radio, theatre, etc.)
- Participate in your local community or intentionally bring people together
to form community.
- Make your opinions known: Write letters to the editor of your local paper;
expand your personal communication comfort zone to let others know that you
see perpetual economic expansion as a recipe for calamity. Letting people
know that you question the current direction gives them permission to question
it as well, thus building support. (Ask us for free Question of Direction cards, to make this process easy.)
- Support people and organizations that are leading the way; begin discussion
groups in your home, church, school or community centre and invite speakers;
donate your time, your energy and/or your money to the effort.
- Develop/participate in a community currency or trading system and encourage
others to do so.